The summer holidays are finally here! Our beauty editors share their travel beauty hacks and reveal what to take and what to ditch…
Travel Beauty Packs: Skincare
If you expose your skin to the three s’s – sun, sweat and SPF – you’re going to have to take a more thorough, yet gentler approach to skincare…
Cleansing is extra extra important when travelling as your skin is exposed to all manner of pore-clogging nasties. A double cleanse in the evening will help to remove every last trace of suncream and make up. We love Clinique Take The Day Off Balm in the first instance, or for a more tavel-friendly option, try Clinique Take The Day Off Micellar Cleansing Towelettes .
For cleanse number two, we love Clarins Cleansing Milk, which leaves skin feeling clean, soft and moisturised. Also use as your one-step cleanse in the morning.
If you’re heading for the sun then SPF should be your best friend, no doubt about it. But for night time, you can’t go wrong with a tube of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream. Not only does it soothe sunburn should disaster strike, it moisturises and nourishes skin when applied as an overnight balm.
Plus, you can use it in the day as lipgloss, tame brows and nourish lashes – read our blog post here.
Travel Beauty Packs: Makeup
Baggage allowance = time to minimise your makeup. You might not think you can live without your collection of Urban Decay Naked palettes, but be realistic about how much makeup you’re actually going to wear while you’re away. Stick to the basics, and double up where you can…
For dewy, sun-kissed skin, trade foundation/concealer for a tinted moisturiser. We love Payot Uni Skin CC Cream SPF 30 , which combats dark spots, dullness, and redness, colour corrects and conceals imperfections. And, thanks to an anti-UVA reinforced SPF30 filter, skin is protected throughout the day, meaning there’s no need to pack another facial SPF.
For the rest of your face, stick to the basics. We love benefit Sugarlicious Lip & Cheek Kit, which includes everything you need to add a pop of colour to your look – morning, noon or night – in a handy pocket-sized kit.
Create a natural flush with Rose-Tinted Lip & Cheek Stain, and apply to lips in the evening for a more dramatic look. High Beam Luminescent Complexion Enhancer can add a natural glow to cheekbones and the inner corner of the eyes. Sugarbomb “Sugar Rush Flush” Face Powder creates a healthy glow on the cheeks and can be used to contour and add shimmer to the eyelids. Finish with a slick of Ultra Plush Sugarbomb Lip Gloss.
Finally, ditch the heavy lashings of mascara and opt for a tinted primer instead. Benefit They’re Real! Tinted Primer gives lashes a natural, feathery look and can be used to tame brows. Water-resistant formula means its pool proof!
Get the look:
- Step 1: Apply BB cream all over the skin to even complexion and protect against UV damage.
- Step 2: Use Sugarbomb “Sugar Rush Flush” Face Powder to create a healthy glow on the cheeks, nose and forehead. for a more dramatic evening look, use to contour and add shimmer to the outer corners of the eyelids.
- Step 3: Create a natural flush with Rose-Tinted Lip & Cheek Stain using your fingers to blend into the skin. Apply to lips in the evening for a more glamorous red lip look.
- Step 4: Using your fingers again, lightly blend High Beam Luminescent Complexion Enhancer to cheekbones and the inner corner of the eyes to create dewy skin.
- Step 5: Apply lash primer to enhance your lashes and brows for a subtle day-time look, layering more on the top lashes in the evening to define eyes.
Travel Beauty Packs: Haircare
Think your hair is safe from burning in the sun? Think again! Hair contains melanin, a pigment responsible for the colour of your hair. Exposure to UVA and UVB rays bleach and destroy melanin, making hair lighter, dryer and more prone to breakage.
To prevent damage, we love the SACHAJUAN sun care treatment range.
Hair In The Sun protects your hair and hair colour from the sun and also works as a styling cream. Hair After The Sun re-moisturizes, conditions and restores shine in your hair after exposure to UV rays.
Protective Hair Perfume moisturises, reduces, static, boosts shine, and proves UV protection and has a unique anti-odour technology to freshen the smell of your hair. Hello gorgeous locks!
Travel Beauty Packs: Hair Styling
2018 is the revival of the hair accessory – with everything from clips, scarves and Blair Waldorf-ian headbands ruling the SS18 catwalks.
Whichever you choose to adorn your head with, team with natural, tousled waves and braids for an effortless, beach-y look.
We love SACHAJUAN Ocean Mist to give hair a natural, care-free look and provide bounce. Created with Ocean Silk Technology, protein and mineral extracts derived from sea algae provide extraordinary results and leave hair feeling nourished, with maximum shine and volume.
Leave at home…
- Anything full-size – use an atomiser for your fragrance and decant everything else into mini bottles
- Hairdryers, tongs and straighteners – give your hair a heat break
- Full-coverage foundations and concealers – let your skin ‘breathe’ while you’re away – especially if you’re heading somewhere hot. It’ll only slide off anyway…
- Facial scrubs – if you’re unfortunate enough to burn, the last thing you want to do is irritate the skin further with a harsh exfoliant