As the weather heats up and we spend more time outdoors (albeit, mostly in our gardens), it’s crucial to our skin’s health that we’re using the right moisturiser.
A quality moisturiser helps to hydrate the skin’s outermost layers while targeting any underlying issues. It can also help to restore the skin’s natural moisture barrier in dry skin, or prevent pore blockages in oily and acne-prone skin. But, and this is a big ‘but’, your moisturiser is only as good as the way you use it. Even the most celebrated, high-end moisturiser can create more issues than it cures, if used in the wrong season.
Why Should You Change Your Moisturiser?
All moisturisers are not created equal. When the weather is particularly cold and windy, a rich cream moisturiser gives the skin the extra hydration and protection it needs. However, this same formulation can sit far too heavily on the skin in warm weather, giving it a greasy feeling and often resulting in sweaty, clogged pores. Instead, opt for a lightweight moisturiser such as a lotion or gel.
With SPF, or Without?
For most of the year, using a moisturiser that includes SPF protection is a great choice. It offers better protection from UV rays than no SPF at all, and can adequately protect you on cloudy and overcast days. However, during the hotter months when the sun is at its hottest and we’re spending time outside, it’s better to separate your moisturiser from your sunscreen.
Using two separate products ensures that you’re able to get full coverage where you need it, and allows you to top up your SPF as needed during the day. Look for an SPF30+ for your face, which will help to reduce sun damage and premature ageing.
Best Summer Moisturisers For Normal/Combination Skin
Keeping the skin hydrated without exacerbating oily patches is the aim of any moisturiser targetted at normal and combination skin. This is even more important during the summer months when the sweat and oil glands are more active.
While the polar opposite ends of dry and oily skin are well catered for, finding a good middle-spectrum option can take some searching. But much like it’s important to tailor your moisturiser to the season, finding a product that suits your skin type is a must. 3 favourites;
- A great option for daily wear is Clarins Multi-Active Jour Antioxidant Day Cream-Gel, which has a lovely light texture. Packed with beneficial antioxidants, it helps to prevent premature ageing and improves radiance.
2. Thalgo Hydra-Marine 24 Hour Gel-Cream. This light Gel- cream hydrates the skin with a delicate, non-oily freshness. perfect for normal to combination skin types.
3. Darphin Hydraskin Light Gel Cream A refreshing, lightweight cream-gel hydrator for normal to combination skin types which moisturises the skin to keep it smooth and supple. Gives long-lasting relief from dehydration.
Best Summer Moisturisers For Dry/Dehydrated Skin
Changes in seasons can be unforgiving for those of us with dry or dehydrated skin. While the cooler months bring out flaking and exacerbate dryness, the warmer months make it difficult to keep skin hydrated. If you have dry skin, you’ll already know that heavy-duty winter moisturisers are not compatible with summer temperatures – claggy, sweaty, cloying skin isn’t a fair trade-off for fewer flakes.
Thankfully, there is no shortage of fantastic summer moisturisers designed for dry and dehydrated skin. Look for gel formulations, which offer more hydration than a liquid, but a lighter texture than a cream. 3 favourites;
- Our favourite is Clinique Moisture Surge 72 Hour Auto Replenishing Hydrator, which sits beautifully on the skin yet packs enough power to keep dryness at bay.
2. Payot Paris Hydra 24+ Gel-Creme Sorbet. An ultra-sensory, fresh and silky melt-in gel-cream that is light and non-greasy and procures an immediate sensation of freshness.
3. Biotherm Aquasource Intense Regenerating Moisturizing Gel 50ml. Skin is left with a renewed complexion that glows. Even the most dehydrated skin is cared for.
Best Summer Moisturisers For Oily Skin
Thinking of going without moisturiser during summer because your skin won’t need the hydration? Think again. With increased sweat and oil production, more exposure to dirt and air pollution, and of course the addition of full SPF coverage, your skin will rely on thorough cleansing more than ever. And with more cleansing, comes an upset in your skin’s natural oil balance.
A light moisturiser that has been formulated for oily skin will help keep your oils in check while offering mattifying properties and hydration. 3 favourites;
1. Our top pick for oily skin is Estée Lauder DayWear Matte, which does all of the above and more, controlling oil for up to eight hours, and enriching the skin with antioxidants.
2. Clinique Pep-Start Hydroblur Moisturizer. This lightweight moisturiser is perfect alone or with makeup, reducing surface shine of the skin and helping to reduce the appearance of pores and dry lines.
3. Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. Skin is strengthened and moisture balance restored with no greasy residue left behind.
Best Summer Moisturisers For Mature Skin
For ageing skin, you want a moisturiser that does more than one job. Mature skin is thinner and lacks the same levels of elastin as it did earlier in life, making fine lines, wrinkles and pigmentation all more likely. While there’s no one product that can completely reverse the signs of ageing (we wish, right?!), it can certainly help to make sure each step of your skincare routine is targeting the same issues. 3 favourites;
1. For a great all-rounder, you can’t beat Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine Cream, an allbeauty best-seller. A silky, non-greasy cream which absorbs easily into the skin, it visibly improves fine lines and wrinkles, while offering a much-needed boost of summer hydration.
2. Elizabeth Arden Visible Difference. Hyaluronic acid manages to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, tree mushroom extract tightens pores and Vitamin E both softens and protects the skin.
3. Clarins Extra Firming Day Cream. With added SPF protection, this moisturising day cream protects against the harmful effects of UV rays.
But remember readers, there’s no point investing in a fantastic summer moisturiser if you aren’t protecting your skin from further damage. Make sure your skincare routine includes a good covering of SPF face cream to keep those harmful UV rays at bay.
Stay safe out there! Shop All Summer Beauty Now