Fake tan needn’t be tricky. So whether you’d rather not sit out in the sun, or need a bit of colour before you don that new bikini, our manual will guide you to the best home tanning products and help you tan like a Pro!
The secret to a great fake tan is making sure you have the right products. So before we begin, ask yourself two questions:
What kind of tan do I need? – A quick fix for pasty legs, a gentle glow or all-over serious colour?
How much time do I have? – Rushing from work, time to prepare?
Got your answers? Let’s get stuck in!
Basically colour in a bottle. Smoothed over skin it gives immediate colour but washes off with soap (hoorah, no mitts or gloves!). All you need is a few minutes of drying time and you’re good to go.
Office parties, last minute dates, unexpected swimming and “my legs look TERRIBLE” moments. Always have some in your cupboard!
- Super-fast to apply, instant colour
- Quick drying
- Can usually be layered to get deeper colour
- Needs soap to remove so no rain-related disasters
- Very temporary
- Needs reapplication
- Looks horrid going down the drain
How To Apply:
Bare hands are fine but a mitt or gloves are useful. Use quick, long strokes and blend by eye.
This smooth, non-sticky body bronzer glides on HANDS FREE and blends on instantly & seamlessly for a thoroughly believable bronze. Beachin’ bonus…the 12-hour Hoola Zero Tanlines formula stays on even when your clothes come off.
Like the classic fake tan, these need time to develop and won’t wash off. However, things have come a long way since you walked around the house naked for 8 hours scared to touch anything – these options dry fast and develop fast.
Parties, balls, short breaks – any occasion where you want a proper tan but don’t want to invest much time.
- Easy to apply, quick drying.
- Some brands such as St Tropez are coloured so you can see where you’re applying the product.
- Won’t wash off even with soap so great for any situation.
- Take time to develop
- Requires care when applying (you need mitts or gloves and must protect eyebrows/hairline) to avoid orange hands!
- A little preparation is needed, especially exfoliation and moisturiser around dry areas.
How To Apply:
Definitely use a mitt and/or gloves! Apply in long, sweeping movements for best results. Some products can be showered off so check the product details.
This easy to use, quick drying and lightweight mousse is specially formulated to absorb quickly into the skin, allowing you to select your shade of tan by choosing when to wash off the tinted guide colour.
The classic fake tan needs time to develop and won’t wash off. May take several hours to develop, and will need proper preparation for great results.
They’re top of the list if you’re going on holiday or need a serious, all-over tan that lasts a solid week before reapplication.
- Usually coloured so you can see where you’re applying product
- Won’t wash off even with soap
- Can usually be topped up with further applications a week or so later to keep the tan going.
- Take time to develop
- Requires proper care when applying (mitts or gloves and you must protect eyebrows/hairline).
- In some cases you can’t get dressed for a short while after application.
- Preparation is needed for best results – exfoliate and moisturise, preferably the day before.
How To Apply
Application in the usual way with a tanning mitt or gloves.
We Love: Xen-Tan Fresh Tanning Mousse
Aside from fake tan products, there are a host of complementary items to help you get the look. For even application a tanning mitt is a must. Body exfoliation will create the perfect base, but try a specialist one such as St Tropez Body Polish. Proper exfoliation after you apply your fake tan will help it to fade more evenly. It also creates a base for re-application if you want to keep your fake tan going all summer. Fake tan products are unisex but men may like Clinique Face Tinted Lotion.
Which fake tan brand is your favourite? Is this summer your first wearing fake tan? Let us know!
This post updated: 28th June 2018.